Saturday, June 4, 2022

Facing Fear

 



Facing Fear

I sat on my easy chair on the lanai (balcony or deck in mainland American language) rocking and swaying rhythmically soothing myself as I was feasting my eyes and heart on the rainbow-colored sunset that finally arrived close to nine in the evening.

As I attended to my insides, I noticed a wall like sense of tension that was “holding my body together” that was made of the caution and sense of unsafety of this world I live in. Strange in a way for me to now see this tension I didn’t really explore so deeply before.

Yes, I have faced my fear courageously, maybe stupidly and certainly naively. I walked into such traps that left me very scared for my life and survived. How resilient we humans are.  Many stories of such adventures I divulged to the world in my memoir: From Mud to Lotus, I meant to behave but there were too many other options. But rarely did I take time out to befriend the inner bodily reality of my fear that sometimes grips me like a straight suit which holds my almost every move in the world of humanity. When I come to a new and unknown city or wind my way through unfamiliar streets to a shop or park in a new town that is unfamiliar and new to me or talk to strangers till they become friends.

Mostly this fear embraces my relationship with our disintegration as humans, the slow decline on our way out. I wonder why it is that humanity, as a general rule, has to go through such uncomfortable or painful deterioration in its marathon of nearing the end goal of dying, freeing ourselves of the physical body.

Taking an evening to sit and meditate on this inner dynamic of tension and relaxation into being, with curiosity rather than ignoring it, denying its existence, or conquering it through closing my eyes and thus still maintain control over my internal experience of shaking with terror. The last resort I noticed myself doing is overcoming the uneasiness by surrendering into active loving when there was no other option of escape. I have tried all these tricks. They are all chapters in my life I tried they all seem temporary. So now I found a new vista of meeting fear-- just sit and explore it as if it is my best friend in the world that I am happy to be intimate with, rather than an enemy I fight, tolerate, or expunge disquietude with action. now that seems an interesting new journey.

I realized that though I have beliefs (ego-based structures of self-protection) that we are both spirit and ego or what we recognize as our body, personality, or mater-based self. A belief that when we die, we shed our body like a snake and reincarnate into our true essence of consciousness free of pain and ego consternations. That belief doesn’t penetrate deep enough into my fear base cellular being to eliminate questions or wonders about what really happens when we die.

But even more close to the bone is the angst about facing deterioration as a single person, on my own. I have seen and heard of so much torture and pain that was doled out on us in the holocausts, in wars and dictatorships all over this planet.   Why do we humans have to have such pain of transformation?! Why do we have to suffer in our leaving the body. I truly wonder if we need this angst and pain to be willing to dismantle our life and attachments and start new.

Some say that we never walk into the same river twice… why is it that walking into a truly unknown river of consciousness without a body or body armor is so frightening to many of us?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Freedom what does it really mean?

  Freedom what does it really mean?   From a very young age, I longed for release from pain and war. Born as a freedom-loving Sagittariu...